My Brazilian Feijoada
A co-worker's mom used to make this dish for him and it was his favorite. So I made him my own version. Instead of sausage you can use ham hocks, or substitute lean white meat for the red meat if you prefer. —Christiane Counts, Webster, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 7 hours
- 8 ounces dried black beans (about 1 cup)
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 bone-in beef short ribs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/4 cups diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Orange sections
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Meanwhile, place pork roast, short ribs and bacon in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, bay leaf and seasonings; pour chicken broth, water and beef broth over meat. Cook, covered, on high 2 hours.
- Stir in beans and sausage. Cook, covered, on low until meat and beans are tender, 5-6 hours. Discard bay leaf. Remove short ribs. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat with 2 forks; return to slow cooker. Top servings with orange sections. If desired, serve with hot cooked rice.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 481 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 41g protein.
Jan 30, 2020
This was an interesting and tasty dinner. The different meats gave it lovely textures and flavors. I did add a some spices (cumin, red pepper flakes) for a little heat, but otherwise, no changes