Cuban Ropa Vieja
I love having this as a go-to recipe for a weeknight meal. Its great authentic Cuban taste puts it at the top of my list.—Melissa Pelkey-Hass, Waleska, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 beef flank steaks (1 pound each), cut in half
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In same skillet, heat drippings over medium-high heat; brown steak in batches. Transfer meat and bacon to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste, garlic, seasonings and vegetables; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Shred beef with two forks; return to slow cooker. Stir in cilantro. Remove with a slotted spoon; serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little stock or water if necessary.