With beef and smoked sausage, this meaty dressing is different from many other dressing and stuffing recipes. It’s delicious alongside roasted chicken or turkey for holidays or any occasion. I like to use chourico, a Portuguese specialty sausage that’s popular in our area.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. In the same skillet, saute the sausage, poultry seasoning, garlic powder and allspice for 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage mixture, stuffing cubes, broth, egg and parsley to the beef mixture; mix well. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Drizzle with butter.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°.
Originally published as Portuguese Bread Stuffing in Country Extra November 2006