Mocha Sandwich Cookies
I've had cookies melt in my mouth, but not as much as these do! I've made several versions of these, but I like to make them as sandwiches with an almond-mocha filling. —Anna Sylvester, Sylvania, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 to 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds, toasted
- Cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 3/4-in. balls; press lightly to flatten. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- For filling, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in cream and extract. In another bowl, combine cocoa, coffee granules and boiling water; stir to dissolve granules. Beat into creamed mixture. Fold in almonds. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Spread filling on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 118 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Melting Moments in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.