Mocha-Pecan Ice Cream Bonbons
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 2 cups finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream or flavor of your choice
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; place in freezer to keep cold. Place pecans in a shallow bowl.
- Working quickly, scoop ice cream with a melon baller to make 3/4-in. balls; immediately roll in pecans. Place on prepared pan; freeze at least 1 hour or until firm.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in coffee granules until dissolved; cool completely.
- Working quickly and in batches, use a toothpick to dip ice cream balls in chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined pan; remove toothpick. Return to freezer; freeze until set. For longer storage, transfer bonbons to a covered freezer container and return to freezer.
Nov 21, 2019
The instructions for the recipe are contradictory and hard to follow. Melting the chocolate with the butter makes the chocolate super thick. Then letting the chocolate cool does not allow it to coat the ice cream balls. The chocolate doesn’t stick at all. I had to put the chocolate in a bag and squirt it on the balls. Total and utter failure the chocolate is way too thick to stick on the ice cream after it cools and it melts the ice cream if it is hot. It also takes way longer than 25 minutes. Do yourself a favor and skip the headache on this one, just buy some bonbons!
May 2, 2019
What a unique dessert that tastes amazing! You do need to work very quickly, as the directions state. It's a messy recipe, but a good one! I used coconut oil in place of the butter and used dark chocolate chips in place of semi-sweet chips.
Jul 23, 2016
like icecream and want to make them for my friands.
Mar 5, 2014
please consider putting the nutrition ratings in all recipes, so many of us have health issues and are trying to eat healthier. Most of the other cooking,recipe sites already do this. Thank you
Mar 1, 2014
this is like my favorite treat to eat during a movie so now I'm able to make at home while watching my Netflix rentals but these are even better. Just to be able to tell my hubby or friends....yes, I made these little bon bon treats created at home. It's quite impressive. you owe it to yourself to try this recipe...they are so much better than those little ones in a box. Oh and you can experiment with rice krispies,almonds...all kinds of ideas! Fun accomplishment
Mar 24, 2010
Delicious! I'm frequently asked to make these & share the recipe.