Cream Cheese Bonbons
These pretty coconut-speckled candies are rolled in grated chocolate, but you could also coat them in finely chopped nuts, chocolate sprinkles or jimmies. Beverly Coyde of Gasport, New York substitutes almond extract for the vanilla and chopped toasted almonds for the contest.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar substitute, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in coconut. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in grated chocolate. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 73 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Cream Cheese Bonbons in Light & Tasty December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.