One sight of this lovely cake will have guests saving room for dessert! For an easy garnish, sprinkle with crushed mint candies.—Agnes Ward, Stratford, Ontario
Recommended: 37 Desserts with a Surprise Inside
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift flour twice; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, almond extract and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon mixture into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack until lightly browned and entire top appears dry, 40-50 minutes. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup crushed candies and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until candies are melted and syrupy. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving platter; cut horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; brush with 2 tablespoons mint syrup. Spread with 1/2 cup whipped cream; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon crushed candies. Repeat layers.
- Top with third cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped cream. Top with remaining candies. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Mint Angel Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p65