Mini Maple Pumpkin Pies
I love to bake with my children, and this is one recipe my 3-year-old can help me make. We use our own maple syrup. Create your own designs for eyes and grins on these pumpkins, just like when you carve a jack-o'-lantern! —Allison Wilmarth, Forest City, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 70 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
Makes10 mini pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add maple syrup, vinegar and milk, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in apples, maple syrup, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Cook until apples are almost tender, about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into apple mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8 in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter. Using a sharp knife, cut out pumpkin faces from half of the cutouts.
- Place about 2 tablespoons filling on each of the uncut pastries. Moisten pastry edges with water. Place remaining cutouts over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- Transfer to greased baking sheets. Bake 22-24 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.