Upside-Down Pumpkin Pecan Tarts
These treats are a great twist on pumpkin pie, and can be prepared a day ahead. You'll love the flaky phyllo combined with the rich pumpkin filling. —Darlene Buerger, Peoria, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups melted butter, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 36 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In small bowl, combine 1/4 cup melted butter, brown sugar and maple syrup. Divide between 12 greased jumbo muffin cups. Sprinkle with pecans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time until blended. Remove 1 cup for filling. Stir in pumpkin, flour and pie spice to remaining cream cheese mixture; set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Layer with 5 additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Cut sheets into a 9x7-in. rectangle. Carefully press each stack into prepared muffin cups. Repeat with remaining phyllo.
- Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon plain cream cheese mixture into each phyllo cup. Top with 3 tablespoons pumpkin mixture. Pinch corners of phyllo together and twist to seal; brush with remaining butter. Bake until golden brown, 45-50 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely. If desired, serve with whipped cream and sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice.