Mexican Cinnamon Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 cups lard
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg white in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat lard until creamy. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into lard.
- Beat egg white on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently whisk in sugar and egg yolk. Gradually beat into lard mixture. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.
- Divide dough into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 24-in.-long rope; cut diagonally into 1-in. pieces. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Roll warm cookies in cinnamon sugar mixture or confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 47 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Dec 2, 2016
I couldn't use the lard. I subbed 1 cup butter and 1 cup shortening. Good recipe and will go well with the rest of the Christmas cookies I made.
Apr 26, 2016
I haven't seen a recipe calling for lard in a very long time so this one took me aback at first. I then remembered something similar my grandmother made many moons ago so i decided to give this a shot. They are so delicious. I like the cinnamon sugar coated version a little better but both are delicious. And like jinlorenza mentioned below, it makes 144 cookies so we're not talking a ton of sat fat per cookie.
Apr 13, 2016
The 2 cups lard shocked me too, and thought for sure it had to be wrong! But then I looked at the servings, and the recipe is for 144 servings, so it makes more sense. :) They look good for me to try too!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.