Mexican Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces Mexican chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sugar; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add eggs, vanilla and rum; beat 2 minutes longer.
- In another bowl, whisk together next six ingredients. Add to butter mixture; beat until combined. Fold in chocolate.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until set, 12-15 minutes. Remove from pans to a wire rack to cool.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 310 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 11, 2018
Fantastic! My new favorite cookie. I made them three weeks in a row. Simple recipe, taste great. The outside is crispy and the inside nice and soft and they are GIANT COOKIES. One cookie is very satisfying!