Mexican Chocolate Sugar Crisps
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, corn syrup and melted chocolate. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place cookies 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets (do not flatten). Bake 8-10 minutes or until tops are puffed and cracked. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Freeze shaped balls of dough on baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, bake cookies as directed.
Jun 20, 2018
Yummy! A light, crispy cookie. I did add 1/8 teaspoon Guajillo Chili (I had to grind mine into a powder.) But, I'm sure any chili powder will do. I made these cookies for Cinco de Mayo. I also added 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon to the 1/4 cup sugar for rolling cookie dough in. Soooo good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.