Mexican Chocolate Sugar Crisps
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, corn syrup and melted chocolate. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place cookies 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets (do not flatten). Bake 8-10 minutes or until tops are puffed and cracked. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Freeze option: Freeze shaped balls of dough on baking sheets until firm. Transfer to airtight containers; return to freezer. To use, bake cookies as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 85 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 21, 2018
These were delicious. I might even drizzle some with PB frosting.
Jun 20, 2018
Yummy! A light, crispy cookie. I did add 1/8 teaspoon Guajillo Chili (I had to grind mine into a powder.) But, I'm sure any chili powder will do. I made these cookies for Cinco de Mayo. I also added 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon to the 1/4 cup sugar for rolling cookie dough in. Soooo good!