I've tried a number of different types of fruit for this recipe, but apple seems to be my family's favorite. I mix the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls the night before and combine them the next morning when it's ready to be baked.—Megan Brooks, Saint Lazare, Quebec.
Recommended: Maple Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels or pepitas
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, syrup, oil and vanilla until blended; stir into dry ingredients. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in apple.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Maple Apple Baked Oatmeal in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p76