Machaca Beef Dip Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 envelope au jus gravy mix
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 French rolls, split
- Guacamole and salsa, optional
- Place roast in a 3- to 4-qt. slow cooker; top with onion. Combine the broth, water, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, gravy mix, Creole seasoning, chili powder and cumin; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place meat on rolls. Serve with guacamole or salsa if desired and the cooking juices. Freeze option: Freeze individual portions of cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Serve on rolls with guacamole and salsa if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
The following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich (calculated without optional toppings): 476 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1288mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 37g protein.
May 4, 2018
This is so easy and so good!! My husbands fave! I prefer it on french bread with salsa and guac. The hubby likes it rolled in a tortilla with cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa and sour cream. However the beef is served it's awesome!! Thanks Karol!!
Nov 6, 2014
Nov 18, 2013
Great flavor, loved the spice but was a bit salty for me!! But overall a great & easy recipe!
Oct 21, 2013
This is one of my family's favorite sandwich recipes. We always fight over the leftovers!
Apr 18, 2013
I made this a couple days ago and my husband absolutely LOVED it! It was a little spicy but super delish!
Mar 10, 2013
My husband said that this was the best beef dip sandwich he has ever had. It has a great flavor and was easy to prepare. I will be making this one over. GREAT recipe
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.