- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings (about 2 tablespoons); cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and reserved drippings until smooth. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to cream cheese mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans, onion, pepper and bacon. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forLouisiana Pecan Bacon Bread
"It's a very unique bread--one everyone in my office loves. Someone bakes it and brings it in several times a year for some celebration or another. It's a very good reason to have office parties :)"
"Wow Clogmore99..that was harsh..but if I won $500.00 for this bread, obviously its not the recipe that was "off", but the cook/baker! Just sayin! ; )"
"This is delicious. Even though the recipe doesn't call for it, I sauteed the onion and pepper a little before adding to the batter, and it turned out great. Next time, I would probably reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup, as a lot of recipes have way too much sugar."
"I was very intrigued by this contest winning recipe. What's not to like? Bacon, pecans, cream cheese. I thought this would be a great Christmas gift. I followed this recipe exactly and this is the weirdest thing I've ever made. It was baked properly, toothpick came out clean. It's very dense, looks raw, nothing I could share with anyone. I'm very disappointed with the ingredients that were wasted on this."