I’ve cooked lobster “alla diavola” (devil’s style) since I was first married. We serve lobster at family celebrations, usually with linguine or capellini. —Marcia Whitney, Gainesville, Florida
Featured In: Throw the Ultimate Vintage Dinner Party
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 fresh or frozen lobster tails (4 to 5 ounces each), thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup julienned soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt-free Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- Hot cooked linguine and minced fresh parsley
- Using kitchen scissors, cut through bottom of lobster tail lengthwise down the center. Place lobster tail, cut side up, on a cutting board. Using a chef's knife, cut through lobster meat and shell. Carefully remove meat from shell and cut into 1-in. pieces. Set lobster shells aside.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add jalapeno; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add tomatoes, dried tomatoes, wine, sugar and seasonings, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Add reserved lobster shells. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove shells; set aside. Stir in vinegar.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender. Add lobster meat; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until meat is opaque. Stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2-3 minutes or until meat is firm but tender.
- To serve, fill lobster shells with tomato mixture. Serve with linguine; sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lobster alla Diavola in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p41
Reviews forLobster Alla Diavola
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2018
"What a waste of a lobster."