Loaded Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
After I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2001, I embarked on a journey to improve my diet and live a healthier lifestyle. I began developing recipes that were not only deliciously satisfying but also anti-inflammatory and highly nutritious. —Chantale Michaud, Guelph, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup tri-colored quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons dried goji berries or dried cranberries
- 1 small banana
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh pumpkin seeds
- Additional unsweetened almond milk and maple syrup, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, soak berries in remaining water for 10 minutes; drain. Halve banana crosswise. Slice 1 banana half; mash the other.
- Remove quinoa from heat; fluff with a fork. Mix in mashed banana, almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Transfer to an individual bowl; add blueberries, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, banana slices and goji berries. If desired, serve with additional almond milk and maple syrup.
Test Kitchen tips