Loaded Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
After I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2001, I embarked on a journey to improve my diet and live a healthier lifestyle. I began developing recipes that were not only deliciously satisfying, but also anti-inflammatory and highly nutritious. —Chantale Michaud, Guelph, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup tri-colored quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons dried goji berries or dried cranberries
- 1 small banana
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh pumpkin seeds
- Additional unsweetened almond milk and maple syrup, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, soak berries in remaining water for 10 minutes; drain. Halve banana crosswise. Slice one half; mash the other.
- Remove quinoa from heat; fluff with a fork. Mix in mashed banana, almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Transfer to an individual bowl; add blueberries, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, banana slices and goji berries. If desired, serve with additional almond milk.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 475 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 10g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Fully Loaded Quinoa Breakfast Bowl in Taste of Home Summer 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.