Li’l Pecan Pies
These tempting little tarts have all the rich traditional taste of a full-size pecan pie in a much smaller package. The tarts are perfect for two. —Christine Boitos, Livonia, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 6-in. circle. Transfer to two 4-1/2-in. tart pans; fit pastry into pans, trimming if necessary. Arrange pecans in shells.
- In another small bowl, whisk egg, brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla. Pour over pecans. Place shells on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Top with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 pie (calculated without whipped cream): 734 calories, 34g fat (6g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 104g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Li'l Pecan Pies in Taste of Home February/March 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.