- 4 large egg whites
- Dash cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 packages (7 ounces each) sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form. In a large bowl, beat milk and lemon juice on high speed until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon peel, baking powder and coconut. Fold in egg whites.
Drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forLemony Coconut Macaroons
"These were super delicious but I wouldn’t call them easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly but they were not easily shaped into balls. I used a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop and they were sort of messy looking so I tried rolling them into a ball with my hands. Those looked better but still did not hold together well. I refrigerated some of the batter and that worked better. I also had a hard time getting them off of the Silpat sheets so I left them sit a little longer and that worked better. I will definitely be making these again. They would be great for sending through the mail or for a cookie tray at the holidays."
"No adjustments, these are sooooo easy and delicious."