These saucy chickpeas add just a little heat to meatless Mondays. They're especially good over hot, fluffy brown rice. —April Strevell, Red Bank, New Jersey
Featured In: 32 Super-Refreshing Dinners to Make This Winter
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender.
Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, broth, pepper flakes and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Uncover; simmer 4-5 minutes or until liquid is slightly reduced, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Do not prepare rice until later. Freeze cooled chickpea mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Lemony Chickpeas in Simple & Delicious December/January 2016