Lemon Tea Biscuits
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makes16 biscuits (1/2 cup butter)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- LEMON BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk and lemon juice just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine lemon butter ingredients until blended. Serve with warm biscuits.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 261 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 28, 2012
I actually made these biscuits for strawberry shortcake and they worked great! I actually didn't taste as much lemon in the biscuits as I thought I would. I image if I made the butter the flavor would pop out more. Overall very satisfied...this receipt will definitely stay in my book.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.