Layered Picnic Loaves
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
Makes2 loaves (12 servings each)
- 2 unsliced loaves (1 pound each) Italian bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 pound deli roast beef
- 12 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 ounce each)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced salami
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- 8 ounces thinly sliced deli chicken
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut loaves in half horizontally; hollow out tops and bottoms, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Combine oil and garlic; brush inside bread shells. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Layer bottom of each loaf with a fourth of the roast beef, mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, salami, artichokes, salad greens, chicken and onion. Repeat layers. Season with salt, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Drizzle with remaining oil mixture if desired. Replace bread tops; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 341 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 991mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
May 22, 2015
Most requested sandwich! Thanks for the recipe!
Aug 9, 2014
I made this recipe recently and both my husband and I declare it a winner. I did have to cut the recipe down for the two of us but it was delicious. We will definitely be having this sandwich again. I followed the recipe exactly except for the size. Definitely a winner. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor.
Jul 26, 2014
Yum! Used Turkey because that's what I had; Penzey's sandwich sprinkle instead of salt and pepper.
Aug 21, 2012
Fantastic - I love this sandwich! Feeds a crowd and best of all it is one of the rare sandwiches that is not loaded with mayo.
May 4, 2012
Nov 2, 2011
Easy to make and delicious.
Oct 19, 2010
This is great recipe to bring to a potluck! Delicious and easy to transport!
Aug 4, 2010
I have been making this every year for the past three years! Excellent sandwich!!! Keep the artichokes in the sandwich! They add a wonderful taste. Love it!
Jan 25, 2010
This was a great sub. I have made it twice and my family loves it (leaving out the artichoke hearts). I call it the "break the bank sub" though.
Oct 26, 2009
I made this for a church picnic and my son and his friends gave it a thumbs up. I substituted thicker-sliced turkey for the chicken and used sweet onion instead of regular. I think I left out the artichokes, though. That you can make it ahead and slice it after reaching your destination makes it fuss-free and perfect for picnics.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.