Special Sandwich Loaves
These satisfying sub sandwiches are a study in simplicity. Try serving the seasoned mayonnaise on the side so guests can customize their hoagies. Look for submarine sandwich dressing in the deli section of your grocery store. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) French bread
- 10 slices deli smoked turkey, halved
- 10 slices deli roast beef, halved
- 20 small lettuce leaves
- 10 slices Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, halved
- 10 slices cheddar cheese, halved
- 2 cups roasted sweet red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 3/4 cup mild pickled pepper rings
- GARLIC-LIME MAYONNAISE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bottle (5 ounces) submarine sandwich dressing
- Cut each loaf into 22 slices, leaving slices attached at the bottom (cut off and discard end pieces). Between every other slice of bread, place a piece of turkey and beef, a lettuce leaf, a piece of each kind of cheese, red peppers and pepper rings.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, garlic and chili powder. To serve, cut completely through the bread between the plain slices. Serve with mayonnaise mixture and submarine dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 385 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 806mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Special Sandwich Loaf in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.