Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 4 ounces lox
- Optional: Sour cream and minced fresh chives
- In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Stir in eggs until blended. Add potatoes; toss to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with lox; top with sour cream and chives if desired.
3 latkes with 1/3 ounce lox (calculated without sour cream and chives): 270 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.