Parsnip Latkes with Lox and Horseradish Creme
A horseradish-flavored creme fraiche brings zip to these crispy homemade latkes, which get a touch of sweetness from the parsnips. Add fresh dill sprigs for a garnish. —Todd Schmeling, Gurnee, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 package (3 ounces) smoked salmon or lox, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Fresh dill sprigs
- Coarsely grate potatoes and parsnips. Place grated vegetables on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners and squeeze out any liquid. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the onions, eggs, salt and pepper.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Flatten to form patties. Fry until golden brown; turn and cook the other side. Drain on paper towels.
- Roll salmon to form rose shapes; set aside. Combine creme fraiche, dill, horseradish, salt and pepper. Top latkes with a dollop of creme fraiche mixture and a salmon rose. Garnish with dill.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 71 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Parsnip Latkes with Lox and Horseradish Creme Fraiche in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.