Khmer Pickled Vegetable Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min.
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2 medium daikon radishes (about 1-1/4 pounds each), peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 small)
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (2 inch)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (1 inch), thinly sliced
- 2 Thai chili or serrano peppers, halved lengthwise, seeded if desired
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place first 8 ingredients in a large nonreactive bowl. Place vinegar, sugar and salt in a 2-cup or larger glass measure; microwave until warm, 2-3 minutes. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir into vegetables. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour before serving.
- To serve, sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 99 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 30, 2018
Sep 27, 2018
We love this recipe!
Dec 26, 2017
This recipe is so delicious. My son lives in Phenom Penh and I was looking for the food I had nearly every morning from a neighbors kitchen/grill when I was visiting. It was served with grilled pork eggs and rice. (Cost 90 cents!) i took it to a family function and they all loved it and they are not what you would call adventurous eaters. Thanks for posting this. I'm making it for myself tonight because I have been craving it ever since.