Khmer Pickled Vegetable Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min.
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2 medium daikon radishes (about 1-1/4 pounds each), peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 small)
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (2 inch)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (1 inch), thinly sliced
- 2 Thai chili or serrano peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded if desired
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place first eight ingredients in a large nonreactive bowl. Place vinegar, sugar and salt in a 2-cup or larger glass measure; microwave until warm, 2-3 minutes. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir into vegetables. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour before serving.
- To serve, sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 99 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 26, 2017
This recipe is so delicious. My son lives in Phenom Penh and I was looking for the food I had nearly every morning from a neighbors kitchen/grill when I was visiting. It was served with grilled pork eggs and rice. (Cost 90 cents!) i took it to a family function and they all loved it and they are not what you would call adventurous eaters. Thanks for posting this. I'm making it for myself tonight because I have been craving it ever since.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.