Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons caramel ice cream topping
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch ground allspice
- Divide coconut between two ungreased 6-oz. custard cups. Drizzle with caramel topping. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; pour into custard cups.
- Place a steamer rack inside a large skillet. Pour water into skillet until it comes almost to the top of the rack. Place custard cups on rack. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 10-12 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 in. from the edge comes out clean.
- Remove cups to a wire rack; let stand for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cup. Unmold flans onto dessert plates; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 307 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 258mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 22, 2011
This is nothing short of miraculous if you are a flan addict - and we are. Living in Mexico this is the "go to" dessert. I also make it as a Creme Brulee. Just omit the caramel and coconut - steam as directed. Remove from streamer, cool then chill. Sprinkle with Mascabado sugar and torch or broil until melted. Top with a few raspberries or strawberries if desired.
Feb 24, 2010
very tasty , similar to coconut custard minus the crust. I placed mine in custard cups sat them in a water bath 1/2 way up the sides of the custard cups 350 degrees 45 minutes, did not use the steamer rack
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.