Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons caramel ice cream topping
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch ground allspice
- Divide coconut between two ungreased 6-oz. custard cups. Drizzle with caramel topping. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; pour into custard cups.
- Place a steamer rack inside a large skillet. Pour water into skillet until it comes almost to the top of the rack. Place custard cups on rack. Bring to a boil; cover and steam until a knife inserted 1 in. from the edge comes out clean, 10-12 minutes.
- Remove cups to a wire rack; let stand 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cup. Unmold flans onto dessert plates; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 flan: 307 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 258mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 22, 2011
This is nothing short of miraculous if you are a flan addict - and we are. Living in Mexico this is the "go to" dessert. I also make it as a Creme Brulee. Just omit the caramel and coconut - steam as directed. Remove from streamer, cool then chill. Sprinkle with Mascabado sugar and torch or broil until melted. Top with a few raspberries or strawberries if desired.
Feb 24, 2010
very tasty , similar to coconut custard minus the crust. I placed mine in custard cups sat them in a water bath 1/2 way up the sides of the custard cups 350 degrees 45 minutes, did not use the steamer rack