Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup whole flaxseed
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, yeast and salt. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, brown sugar, honey and 2 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in ground and whole flaxseed until blended. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a loaf; place in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Melt remaining butter; brush over bread. Cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 169 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 2, 2015
I used my bread maker to try this bread. It was good warm, but we found it to be too dry for sandwiches.
Dec 28, 2012
Delicious! I have been making this since I found it in Taste of Home years ago. It is a favorite of my family and now going to share it with my daughter-in-lawUpdate - It is almost two years since I reviewed recipe and it is still the best one I have found. I make various kinds of breads and this is #1. Thanks Jennifer for a delicious recipe!