- 4-1/3 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 batches (4-1/2 cups total).
- To prepare hush puppies: In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups mix, corn, onion and egg; stir just until moistened. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil; fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: about 4 dozen per batch.
Reviews forHush Puppy Mix
"I made these Hush Puppies recently and they were delicious!I used regular cornmeal and it worked out fine."
"HELP!! Interesting, anxious to try. After reading editor's note, does this mean the 41/3 c. corn meal will be self rising, along with the 1 TBSP. salt added. Thanks!!!"