Best Hush Puppies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cream-style corn
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add egg, milk and corn; stir just until mixed.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and, if desired, roll in confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately with fried chicken, ham or sausage.
May 2, 2018
Well I just finished fixing the batter I want to surprise my daughter when she comes home from work I'm covered and put it in the refrigerator until she comes home so when I cook that with some nice red snappers I do hope it comes out well it looks great as a batter but I'll let you guys know if I want to star myself
Nov 3, 2015
Great taste, just needed to be a little firmer. I loved the corn in it....I will make it again.
Apr 29, 2012
This was a good recipe and our first time trying making hush puppies. I like them a bit more dense, but this could be resolved with a true fryer. We also added chives to the recipe which was a great addition.