Best Hush Puppies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cream-style corn
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add egg, milk and corn; stir just until mixed.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and, if desired, roll in confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately with fried chicken, ham or sausage.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 2, 2018
Well I just finished fixing the batter I want to surprise my daughter when she comes home from work I'm covered and put it in the refrigerator until she comes home so when I cook that with some nice red snappers I do hope it comes out well it looks great as a batter but I'll let you guys know if I want to star myself
Nov 3, 2015
Great taste, just needed to be a little firmer. I loved the corn in it....I will make it again.
Apr 29, 2012
This was a good recipe and our first time trying making hush puppies. I like them a bit more dense, but this could be resolved with a true fryer. We also added chives to the recipe which was a great addition.