- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup pancake mix
- 2-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, pancake mix, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, oil, jalapenos, onion and pepper sauce. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
Peppers (Hot)Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.