Holiday Ginger Cutouts
Looking to get a little creative with your cookie decorating? Paint your own masterpiece on a ginger cookie canvas!—Joanne MacVey, Blue Grass, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Assorted colors of liquid food coloring
- Round pastry tip #2, #3 or #4
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, molasses and vinegar; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness and cut into desired shapes. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, stiff confectioners' sugar and meringue powder into a large bowl. Add water; beat on low speed until blended. Beat on high for 5-6 minutes or until soft peaks form. Place a damp paper towel over bowl and cover tightly until ready to use.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip. Fill bag with 1 cup icing. Outline each cookie with icing. Tint remaining icing with food coloring if desired. Add water, a few drops at a time, until mixture is thin enough to flow smoothly. Prepare additional pastry or plastic bags with thinned icing. Fill in cookies, letting icing flow up to the outline.
- Let cookies dry at room temperature overnight. With food coloring and small new paintbrush, paint designs on dry icing. Store cookies in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteMeringue powder is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 208 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.