Gingerbread Crisp Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well (dough will be soft). Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters and place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Dec 18, 2015
My mom used to make these when I was a kid. They are delicious!
Jan 7, 2014
My mother-in-law began making this classic gingerbread cookie over 40 years ago. She still makes them every Halloween! I now make them too for my family. The only thing different is her's call for only 2 cups of flour. This may explain why one reviewer commented on needing to add additional water. This is a great recipe to roll -- they come out beautiful!
Dec 17, 2011
I found that I needed to add a bit of water to make the dough workable- and I refrigerated it overnight- but the cutouts were perfect and baking time just 9 min made a moist, soft cookie.
Dec 16, 2011
I just finished making these cookies and the are very good. A great for cutoff cookies.