Gingerbread Crisp Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well (dough will be soft). Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters and place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 18, 2015
My mom used to make these when I was a kid. They are delicious!
Jan 7, 2014
My mother-in-law began making this classic gingerbread cookie over 40 years ago. She still makes them every Halloween! I now make them too for my family. The only thing different is her's call for only 2 cups of flour. This may explain why one reviewer commented on needing to add additional water. This is a great recipe to roll -- they come out beautiful!
Dec 17, 2011
I found that I needed to add a bit of water to make the dough workable- and I refrigerated it overnight- but the cutouts were perfect and baking time just 9 min made a moist, soft cookie.
Dec 16, 2011
I just finished making these cookies and the are very good. A great for cutoff cookies.