Pumpkin Spice Cutouts
Through all the years I've been baking, I’ve never come across a pumpkin cookie recipe that you can actually cut out with cookie cutters. (Most I’ve found are drop cookies.) Each bite tastes just like pumpkin pie—delicious! —Marion Kearley, Ladner, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin pie mix
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Food coloring, optional
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin pie mix and molasses. In another bowl, whisk next 6 ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate several hours, until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. pumpkin-shaped cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until edges are firm, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, beat confectioners' sugar, butter and enough milk to reach spreading consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 156 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.