Sour Cream Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Gel food coloring of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Tint some of the frosting with food coloring; decorate cookies as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 109 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 26, 2016
Very good. Did some as cutout cookies and some as bar cookies. Easy, large batch.
Feb 10, 2016
Too sweet - almost sickening sweet... gave them to the birds and squirrels! I will stick to my recipe!!!
Dec 10, 2014
We make this recipe every year. If we make no other cookie, we make this one. I make the dough a day ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator, as it's a very wet dough. My husband and 9 year old roll out the dough and cut out shapes. I bake them, and we spend hours (I make several batches) decorating them. Our family and friends love them! And the best thing is, they stay moist and delicious for well over a week, so they can be made ahead of time.
Nov 27, 2014
I made these last Christmas. I loved the slightly flaky texture and buttery flavor. The dough was pretty easy to work with too.
Oct 4, 2010
makes a good cookie. a great idea to use leftover sour cream
Dec 11, 2009
Thanks, I couldn't view it either.
Dec 11, 2009
The dough rolls out and cuts well and bakes nicely. They hold their shape nicely. However, they have a very dry texture. Make sure you have a glass of milk handy when you eat these. Not sure I'll make these again. Not moist at all.......
Dec 2, 2009
Lost the recipe thanks so much these are the best and my kids go crazy for them, I freeze them till christmas but somehow they seem to disappear
Dec 29, 2007
I have tried for days to view this recipe. Is there any way you can type in the recipe? Thank you.
Dec 12, 2007
I'm wondering how this will work with high altitude cooking?