My grandmother passed away when I was 5 years old, so I treasure this recipe of hers. Grated lemon peel adds a refreshing flavor that makes these cookies stand out from other butter cookies.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Colored sugars
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and lemon zest; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 120 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Cutouts in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.