Grandma’s Christmas Spice Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 2 cups molasses
- 2 cups dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup shortening, melted
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon powdered star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Combine the first five ingredients. Whisk together remaining ingredients; add to molasses mixture and mix well. Refrigerate, covered, 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes with floured 2-in. cookie cutters; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 109 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 17, 2018
Yum! These cookies have just the right spice/sweet taste. This recipe makes a ton of cookies - perfect if you need to take something with you to a party or to wrap up and give as a gift.