Healthy Sausage Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 pound reduced-fat Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion and celery over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the sausage, carrot and garlic; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until onion is tender.
- Stir in the broth, water, lentils, oregano, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and spinach; cook until heated through and spinach is wilted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 180 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 639mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 12g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jan 5, 2017
Ok recipe but the Worcestershire overpowered the rest of the flavors. I will make it again but skip the Worcestershire.
Oct 10, 2013
I love, love this recipe. It is so easy and uses easy simple ingredients found in our local "small town grocer." We substitute V8 juice for the stewed tomatoes and omit the spinach. Than add the juice and Worcestershire sauce with the broth and other ingred and simmer 45-50 minutes. It reheats well and can also be frozen. Did I say I LOVE this recipe (grin)!
Jan 6, 2013
Unbelievable. This is a staple soup for us. No fuss preparation.
Apr 23, 2012
This recipe was very good.I used no water and cannellini beans in place of lentils.I also skipped the tomatoes and spinach-but very good and Im sure even better the second day!
Dec 10, 2009
This recipe is the greatest! Ive made it twice, my son that doesn't like vegtetables. loved this soup. Everyone loved it . I noticed the second time I made it I put more sausage, spinach . I also added corn and squash and cannellini beans it was DELICIOUS. Next time I am going to add some shrimp.
Dec 10, 2009
This recipe is the greatest! Ive made it twice, my son that doesn't like vegtetables. loved this soup. Everyone loved it . I noticed the second time I made it I put more sausage, spinach . I also added corn and squash and cannellini beans it was DELICIOUS. Next time I am going to add some shrimp
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.