Grilled Sausages with Peppers
A good dose of Italian seasonings and mozzarella makes these grilled sausages unique. They're great with homemade French fries for a quick meal. —Steven Schend, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links (4 ounces each)
- 2 brat buns, split
- Spicy brown mustard, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper and onion; cook and stir until softened. Stir in brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, 12-15 minutes or until onion is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, grill sausages, covered, over medium heat 12-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, turning occasionally. Serve in buns with pepper mixture; if desired, top with mustard.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without mustard): 488 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1002mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Italian sausages in Reminisce June/July 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.