Summertime Spaghetti with Grilled Meatballs
After Hurricane Sandy, we were without power for two weeks. I learned what you can make on a grill, such as these smoky meatballs and tomato sauce. —Andrea Rivera, Westbury, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 2 pounds (4 to 5) large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, combine onion, bread crumbs, egg, Parmesan, milk and seasonings. Add beef; mix lightly. With wet hands, shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on greased grill rack; grill, covered, over medium heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- For sauce, combine tomatoes, garlic, oil, sugar, salt, oregano and pepper in an 11x7x2-in. disposable foil pan. Grill over medium heat until sauce begins to simmer, about 10 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Serve meatballs and sauce with spaghetti; top with shredded Parmesan.
Nutrition Facts1 cup spaghetti with 1/2 cup sauce and 3 meatballs: 446 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Summertime spaghetti with grilled meatballs in Taste of Home June/July 2016