Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 10 dozen
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 6 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups finely chopped nuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, water and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Place additional confectioners' sugar in another shallow bowl. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool 5 minutes. Dip tops of warm cookies in glaze and allow excess to drip off; dip in confectioners' sugar. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use eggs.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 74 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 9, 2015
I am so glad I found this recipe. Usually I can find these in the supermarket but have not been able to find. in the last couple of years. So now I can make my own. I will add more to this comment after I have made them.
Nov 30, 2015
Good Christmas cookies for a variety.
Nov 6, 2012
Family & co workers alike loved these cookies. Sure they took a bit of time to prep and make but it was well worth the effort. Loved the simple glaze and used it on other cookies.
Aug 28, 2012
Perfect for making ahead for the holidays, these took a little bit of time to apply the glaze and powdered sugar, but were easy enough for kids to help make!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.