"These mild spice cookies, perfect for dunking, come from an old family recipe," shares Betty Hawkshaw of Alexandria, Virginia.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup water
- 6-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup crushed aniseed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. In a bowl, combine corn syrup, molasses and water; set aside. Combine the flour, aniseed, baking soda and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 11 minutes or until golden brown. Roll warm cookies in confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 69 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.