Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons anise extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine molasses, honey, butter and shortening. Cook and stir over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in eggs and extract.
- Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, pepper and salt. Gradually add molasses mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cookies to wire racks. Roll warm cookies in confectioners' sugar. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 42 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Sep 22, 2017
I so would have loved to make these cookies from my mother, but, $12.50 for 1 oz of ground cardamom, it would be cheaper to go to the grocery store and pay $3.99 for 12 cookies and say "here Mom". . .
Dec 24, 2016
oh heck yah I'll be making these BUT, being Norwegian we bump up the spices even more-can't wait.I was very disappointed with the molasses cookies I made and the ginger snaps as well. this seems sure to be a sure fire pleaser.
Nov 22, 2015
Have made these the past couple years and everyone raved about them!
Oct 23, 2013
I thought the spices were good in this cookie but they failed to impress me, they were more like a molasses/spice cookie. I will go back to the recipe I've always used & won't make these again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.