Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons anise extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine molasses, honey, butter and shortening. Cook and stir over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in eggs and extract.
- Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, pepper and salt. Gradually add molasses mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cookies to wire racks. Roll warm cookies in confectioners' sugar. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 42 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 21, 2018
real pfeffernaus cookies have seeded muscat raisins and walnuts.
Sep 22, 2017
I so would have loved to make these cookies from my mother, but, $12.50 for 1 oz of ground cardamom, it would be cheaper to go to the grocery store and pay $3.99 for 12 cookies and say "here Mom". . .
Dec 24, 2016
oh heck yah I'll be making these BUT, being Norwegian we bump up the spices even more-can't wait.I was very disappointed with the molasses cookies I made and the ginger snaps as well. this seems sure to be a sure fire pleaser.
Nov 22, 2015
Have made these the past couple years and everyone raved about them!
Oct 23, 2013
I thought the spices were good in this cookie but they failed to impress me, they were more like a molasses/spice cookie. I will go back to the recipe I've always used & won't make these again.