Taste autumn aromas —apples, cinnamon and spices —in this delicious recipe. It's even better with a scoop of vanilla or pumpkin ice cream! Whipped cream is always an option. —Holly Battiste, Barrington, New Jersey
Recommended: Pear Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, toss first seven ingredients. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix first six topping ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake until golden brown and fruit is tender, 40-45 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ginger Apple-Pear Crisp in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p124