General Tso’s Soup
I love Asian food and wanted a chili-like soup with the distinctive flavors of General Tso’s chicken. The slow cooker makes this super easy, and you can use any meat you like. It’s a great with turkey, ground meats or leftover pork. —Lori McLain, Denton, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup pickled cherry peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound shredded cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- In a -4 or -5 quart slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Stir in chicken, onion and broccoli. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, about 2 hours. Top with green onions and sesame seeds to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 222 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as General Tso's Soup in Taste of Home September/October 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.