General Tso’s Soup
I love Asian food and wanted a chili-like soup with flavors of General Tso. The slow cooker makes this super easy. You can use any meat you like—I used leftover pork, but it's great with turkey, chicken or ground meats. —Lori McLain, Denton, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hrs.
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup pickled cherry peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound shredded cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- In a -4 or -5 quart slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Stir in chicken, onion and broccoli. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, about 2 hours. Top with green onions and sesame seeds to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 222 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as General Tso's Soup in Taste of Home September/October 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.