General Tso’s Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup pickled cherry peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound shredded cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- In a -4 or -5 quart slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Stir in chicken, onion and broccoli. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, about 2 hours. Top with green onions and sesame seeds to serve.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 222 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 11, 2019
This was a very easy and delicious recipe! I took a shortcut and made this in the pressure cooker with great results. It is a thicker soup so if you wanted to thin it down, I'd recommend more tomato juice or chicken broth. Great flavor!
Oct 3, 2018
Interesting blend of flavors although even 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes made this quite spicy. I will reduce this to 1/2 teaspoon (at most) next time. There was very little liquid even for a thick chili-style dish, so I added about 1 cup of water (could use tomato juice, too). Also, the cooking times in the instructions conflict. Is it 4 hours or 2 hours? This was ready to eat after 3-1/2 hours, but not sure if 2 hours was quite enough. (I didn't check that soon.) I will try this again and check on the cook after 2 hours.