General Tso’s Cauliflower
Cauliflower florets are deep-fried to a crispy golden brown, then coated in a sauce with just the right amount of kick. This is a fun alternative to the classic chicken dish.—Nick Iverson, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup club soda
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 to 6 dried pasilla or other hot chilies, chopped
- 3 green onions, white part minced, green part thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Combine flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder. Stir in club soda just until blended (batter will be thin). Dip florets, a few at a time, into batter and fry until cauliflower is tender and coating is light brown, 8-10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- For sauce, whisk together the first six ingredients; whisk in cornstarch until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add chilies; cook and stir until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add white part of onions, garlic, ginger and orange zest; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir soy sauce mixture; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2-4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower to sauce; toss to coat. Serve with rice; sprinkle with thinly sliced green onions.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup with 1 cup rice: 584 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1628mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as General Tso's Cauliflower in How To April_June 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.