Air-Fryer General Tso’s Cauliflower
Cauliflower florets are deep-fried to a crispy golden brown, then coated in a sauce with just the right amount of kick. This General Tso's cauliflower is a fun alternative to the classic chicken dish. —Nick Iverson, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup club soda
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 to 6 dried pasilla or other hot chiles, chopped
- 3 green onions, white part minced, green part thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Preheat air fryer to 400°. Combine flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder. Stir in club soda just until blended (batter will be thin). Toss florets in batter; transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Let stand 5 minutes. In batches, place cauliflower on greased tray in air-fryer basket. Cook until golden brown and tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together first 6 sauce ingredients; whisk in cornstarch until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add chiles; cook and stir until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add white part of onions, garlic, ginger and orange zest; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir orange juice mixture; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2-4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower to sauce; toss to coat. Serve with rice; sprinkle with thinly sliced green onions.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 cup with 1 cup rice: 528 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1614mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.