Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced potatoes, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Chili powder to taste
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low until heated through, 6-8 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 223 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2018
I want to make this but I have gone to 3 grocery stores and can not find the Ranch Style Pinto Beans. Is there a substitution that can be used in its place
Oct 9, 2018
Unfortunately I can tell just by looking at the ingredients that this is not something we would enjoy
Oct 9, 2018
Good grief....all those canned products contribute to the high salt content. I understand the Hominy, tomatoes, and pinto beans need to be canned, but frozen corn can be used, and fresh potatoes and carrots. Fresh is best.
Oct 9, 2018
Delicious! I used low salt or no salt added canned tomatoes, canned haminy, and beans. I never buy canned vegetables because of the salt content. Dicing the fresh potatoes and carrots only added a small amount of cooking time to the dish. I also used low salt canned beef broth.
Apr 18, 2018
I like this recipe. It requires quite a bit more seasoning, however. I added herbs and spices to give it an extra pop.
Apr 29, 2011
I have to say this was a big hit in my house. My husband loved it and he is a picky eater. Though I did change a couple of things. Instead of Ground Beef I used Ground Turkey and chicken broth instead of Beef bouillon cube. I will be making this again. It is a must try.
Jan 29, 2011
my family really loved it.i make it often.
Sep 22, 2009
Homiiny is traditionally a southern dish but it is corn that has been soaked in a weak lye solution. It comes either white or yellow. If you have a Wal-mart, they have their own brand. Bush also has canned hominy, but look close to the corn in your supermarket.
Apr 15, 2009
I'm sorry for my ignorance but what is hominy? Judith