Garlic Mushroom French Beef Stew
Special and sensational are words that come to mind to describe this stew. One bite and you'll know why. It makes a lot, but can easily be halved.—John Maxson, Mason City, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes20 servings (1 cup each)
- 5 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds assorted fresh mushrooms, such as portobello, shiitake and/or oyster), sliced
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a stockpot, brown the beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onions and carrots in 2 tablespoons butter for 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in mushrooms, potatoes, broth, wine, basil and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours. Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until beef is tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into stew; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 336 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as French Beef Stew in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.