Garlic-Herb Orzo Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook garlic in oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add orzo and rice; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in the onions, basil, parsley and salt.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 227 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2016
Great side, gets done in under 30 min from start to finish. Will do again!
Apr 15, 2015
The flavor was light, fresh and delicious! If I wasn't watching my calories, I would have shredded some fresh Parmesan or Asiago on top! Great side dish!
Feb 28, 2015
Very good. Make again.
Apr 2, 2014
I made this tonight and will definitely make it again. I enjoyed the flavor and how the liquids were the correct amount, so the orzo and rice were tender and there was no extra liquid or gummy area at the bottom of the pot. Best of all, the recipe uses ingredients that I usually have on-hand. This will be a good recipe to use in the spring, when herbs are growing in the garden, for years to come.
Feb 25, 2014
Didn't have garlic to slice; used minced. Still good, but was missing something.
Aug 10, 2013
I have made this several times it is very tasty.
May 22, 2012
I really enjoy this side dish and make it often. I add about a 1/4 up of shredded romano cheese for some creamy flavor punch. Super easy to make.
Oct 11, 2008
I love this recipe and have made it several times. It is very easy to make and my guests have even asked for the recipe.